cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

u_drew330work
Journeyman III

Radeon 6950xt is running at Gen 3

I cannot get my Radeon 6950xt to run at pcie Gen 4. I've tried everything. Bios flash, different Bios, Bios settings, new windows install, Multiple Drivers, updates, ran a render test just to make sure it was not powering down with less use, etc. The only thing I have not tried is the GPU VBIOS, but I don't know why that would a problem at all. Now the GPU runs perfectly fine when up in running, actually never had any issue's with its actual performance. Build is MSI 550m Mortar/ 3700x/ 1 M.2 Gen 4/ 2x16 3200/ 850 psu. Basic build. The GPU is only 2 weeks old, bought new. Anyone that can help I'd be greatful as F**k. I understand impact on performance is miniscule if at all, but it's the principal. I need to find the culprit. 

0 Likes
1 Reply

First make sure you have the latest Non-Beta BIOS Version installed.

Then check in BIOS Settings if there  is a setting to change the PCIe x 16 lane to 4.0 from 3.0.

Download and run GPU-Z to verify you are running at PCIe x 16 3.0 and to see if the AMD driver is installed  correctly.

According to my GPU-Z when the GPU card is in the power saving mode it will show a slow PCIe speed but once under load it will show the correct PCIe x 16 speed of 4.0

Screenshot 2024-04-25 100916.png

I recently upgraded my Nvidia 1070 to a 4060. My BIOS automatically changed the PCIe lane from 3.0 to 4.0.

With the previous 1070 GPU-Z showed it was running at PCIe 3.0 but now with the new GPU card it is showing running at PCIe 4.0.

So using GPU-Z start the Render Test and see if the PCIe speed changes from 3.0 to 4.0.

0 Likes