What size tire should YOU get? size, width, type explained

I went with 19" primarily because I like the wheels better and also all of the cars that we have had with low profile tires seemed to have a lot more road noise.
For some reason the Lucid 21” are not noticeably more noisy than the 19”. My service guy confirmed that, also said Michelins are noisier than the Pirellis on the Lucid for some reason.

For some reason the Lucid 21” are not noticeably more noisy than the 19”. My service guy confirmed that, also said Michelins are noisier than the Pirellis on the Lucid for some reason.
oh good, i test drove both: 21" at century city in LA, and 19" at valley fair in norcal. i thought i was just a pleb for not noticing much difference in noise LOL i also didn't feel too much of a comfort difference between the two tho. maybe a tiny bit? but not sure how much of it was my brain looking for differences and reaching...21" definitely handled better tho, but not to the point of a difference for me

The 21" Pirellis for the Lucid Air were engineered for low rolling resistance. ..
for a summer-only performance tire. I think a LRR all-season tire will have less rolling resistance than an LRR all-season tire.

I wonder whether the foam noise absorption blocks keep the noise more tamed in the 21” than the 19” tires?

Uh, oh. This certainly cranked my worries up a bit.
In 7k miles, I only had that one bulge and it's because I KNOW I hit that pothole at 50mph...

In 7k miles, I only had that one bulge and it's because I KNOW I hit that pothole at 50mph...
I worry about a bulge on the inward facing sidewall that you don’t see before the tire blows. A lot of us drive this car “enthusiastically” and put huge stresses on these tires. A bulge is a sure indicator of a structural breakdown in the sidewall integrity.

19" don't have the foam?
They both have foam. I was able to see what the foam looked like inside the 21s, it’s basically wide strips of green dense sponge that takes up a lot of the inside of the tire. I think because there’s less tire/foam ratio to create resonance in the 21s the foam must do a better job of quieting the tire compared to the 19s, although the 19s are still not too noisy.

Our car is configured the same: DE-P w/ 21" - 451-mile EPA rating.

On the longest interstate leg between charges on our recent road trip driving a sustained 80mph, we used just over 60% of the battery capacity in 222 miles -- meaning we got about 80% of the EPA range in prolonged high-speed driving in 100-degree temperatures with the A/C and audio system running. Given how much more demanding this type of driving is than the driving simulated in the EPA tests, this is actually quite good.

Hmmm so smaller wheels more range. About 16 miles per inch. I'll pop in 16" tires then and get extra 48 miles vs the 19"!

Hmmm so smaller wheels more range. About 16 miles per inch. I'll pop in 16" tires then and get extra 48 miles vs the 19"!
I would suspect at some point the curve drop and it doesn't make sense to go smaller. Try 18"s and let us know.

Try some 8” tires like on my 1957 Messerschmitt. You will probably get 1,000 miles per charge! 😊

Attachments

• 3CBA7173-90D4-4FBB-8CC1-18B1C8F2B2E6.jpeg
    3CBA7173-90D4-4FBB-8CC1-18B1C8F2B2E6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
Try some 8” tires like on my 1957 Messerschmitt. You will probably get 1,000 miles per charge! 😊
Since your going with the small tires, might as well go with a hydraulic lowrider.
1656893663308.png

As someone who tracks their summer toy, a 718 GT4, weekly in season, I come from a completely different school of thought. One of the 1st things I did when I got the car was go to 19" forged wheels from the OEM 20s. I would have gone to 18s but caliper clearance was an issue. Obviously this doesn't account for the specific tire used but there are several high performance XL rated 19s if you go on tire rack. I chose the 19" for range range range but lighter, smaller wheels on track toys follow this logic--

Attachments

• B2D4BD82-610E-43FE-ACBC-14C9F7D1B718.jpeg
    B2D4BD82-610E-43FE-ACBC-14C9F7D1B718.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 81
Back