Shane_SLC

Referral Code: EZJAF0R7
Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air Touring
Referral Code
EZJAF0R7
Hey everyone!

I've scheduled a test drive at the Millbrae studio on July 10th. I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips, suggestions, or questions they would like me to ask during my appointment. I assume I'll be driving a GT trim but I don't have specific details. This will be my first time ever driving an EV so I'm very excited! Thanks and all the best.

It may be daunting at first, especially with all the new tech so I would focus on your comfort behind the wheel, the driving experience in different modes (sprint, smooth), and possibly passenger comfort. I like to ask salespeople what the biggest problem areas are to get a sense of their willingness to be honest, and then you can have a decent conversation about things. I would also push to make sure you get some time out on a curvy road to really feel the value of the ride. Keep it simple and the rest will be a learning experience - good luck & have fun!

I reserved a Pure. On my test drive Ethan suggested driving in smooth as that would be equivalent to the HP of the Pure. He also noted, however, that the Pure would weigh about 400 pounds less.

It may be daunting at first, especially with all the new tech so I would focus on your comfort behind the wheel, the driving experience in different modes (sprint, smooth), and possibly passenger comfort. I like to ask salespeople what the biggest problem areas are to get a sense of their willingness to be honest, and then you can have a decent conversation about things. I would also push to make sure you get some time out on a curvy road to really feel the value of the ride. Keep it simple and the rest will be a learning experience - good luck & have fun!
Thanks for the tips!

I reserved a Pure. On my test drive Ethan suggested driving in smooth as that would be equivalent to the HP of the Pure. He also noted, however, that the Pure would weigh about 400 pounds less.
I'll mostly likely end up with a Pure so I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Just got back from my test drive! I figured I'd update with my thoughts and impressions. I had a blast and am very impressed overall.

• Interior was incredibly comfortable and spacious. Rear legroom was awesome!
  • As a first time EV driver the regenerative breaking felt awesome. I like the idea of the one pedal driving dynamic and could see myself really appreciating the regenerative breaking setup.
  • I've never really been in a true luxury vehicle but for what it's worth I was impressed by the look and feel of the finishes. I felt very comfortable and could see myself taking long road trips in this car without complaints.
  • Frunk and trunk spaces seemed very useful and had generous amounts of space. With the added possibility of roof racks I think this will be an awesome road trip vehicle.
  • The glass roof was awesome and made the interior feel extra spacious. It did seem to make the interior of the car a bit warmer in the beginning, but the AC did a fantastic job of cooling the car down quickly.
  • Overall responsiveness of the software felt okay overall, but could still use some improvement. I'd really like to see the blind spot cameras display more quickly and show a higher quality image.
  • My one complaint was the feel of the brake and accelerator pedals. This may just be something I'd have to get used to as someone new to EVs, but I felt like I had to press both pedals very far down to get much of a response. I imagine I'd get used to the feel over time with both issues, but it definitely felt odd to me initially.
As a side note, I saw a gold DE driving south on the 101 freeway coming into town on Saturday, so shotout to whowever that was!

If you've never done one pedal driving, remember that the first 10-20% of the accelerator pedal "travel" is actually braking. Thus.....if you are driving and coming up to a red light/stop sign/stopped traffic....(well before you need to stop), gently let your foot off the throttle to get a feel for the regen. The more you lift, the more your speed is retarded (braking). If you lift your foot fully off, it is like applying moderate to strong braking. Your poor passengers may never know what hit them.....you can really make them car sick if you aren't careful.

I can't speak to brake pedal travel, I never used it on my test drive.

• Frunk and trunk spaces seemed very useful and had generous amounts of space. With the added possibility of roof racks I think this will be an awesome road trip vehicle.
  • The glass roof was awesome and made the interior feel extra spacious. It did seem to make the interior of the car a bit warmer in the beginning, but the AC did a fantastic job of cooling the car down quickly.
Well, do remember that roof racks will cause your miles/kw to drop mightily (and luggage will block your view, but will provide shade). Great video on this below.

Back