Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo/Citi/Choice Hotels

tag
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Wells Fargo/Citi/Choice Hotels

Which strategy would you choose to get the best cashback & getting Choice Hotel points excluding having a Choice Hotel Choce Privilages Select Mastercard. Your feedback is appreciated. 

Citibank/Mastercard 

1-  Citi Double Cash

2- Citi Custom Cash

3- Citi Premier 

or 

Wells  Fargo/Visa 

1-   Active Cash 

2-  Autograph

3-  Autograph Journey 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo/Citi/Choice Hotels

@AyaMai wrote:

Which strategy would you choose to get the best cashback & getting Choice Hotel points excluding having a Choice Hotel Choce Privilages Select Mastercard. Your feedback is appreciated. 

Citibank/Mastercard 

1-  Citi Double Cash

2- Citi Custom Cash

3- Citi Premier 

or 

Wells  Fargo/Visa 

1-   Active Cash 

2-  Autograph

3-  Autograph Journey 

Citi looks like a great strategy.

I'm not familiar with Wells Fargo.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 2 of 13
cws-21
Established Contributor

@AyaMai wrote:

Citibank/Mastercard 

1-  Citi Double Cash

2- Citi Custom Cash

3- Citi Premier 

or 

Wells  Fargo/Visa 

1-   Active Cash 

2-  Autograph

3-  Autograph Journey 

Of the two setups, I would prefer the Citi one. However, if you are really into Choice Hotel points, I would consider the Citi Premier, Citi Custom Cash, Wells Fargo Autograph, and Wells Fargo Active Cash.

Message 3 of 13
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

How do you normally book your travel?  Do you book directly with airlines and hotels, or are you okay with going through a bank's travel portal?  

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 4 of 13
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Citi would be my choice.

Message 5 of 13
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

How do you normally book your travel?  Do you book directly with airlines and hotels, or are you okay with going through a bank's travel portal?  

I do road trips across USA in general, for airlines my kids and P2 are authorized users who take the advanatge of my Amex cards for travel, lounges and hotel status, the others perks I tend to use. I book my stays through hotels since I have co hotel branded credit cards & accumlated sign up bonuses in the last two years which I need to use.   @cws-21 suggested to consider the Citi Premier, Citi Custom Cash, Wells Fargo Autograph, and Wells Fargo Active Cash. I do have Wells Fargo Autograph and Choice Privilages since October. I do have 2%, 3% & 5% cashback cards which are used for statement credits but are not transferable rewards. For Chase I am over 5/24,  I am not even approved for opening a checking account, just AU on P2 chase cards. As for Capital One have their cards, use once a month Capital One Walmart for my monthly online purchase through Walmart+  due Amex Platinum perk. No interest in Capital One ecosysytem. I am left with Wells Fargo and Citi besides Amex which I am fully invested in is to have a choice of 2%, 3% and 5%  cashback as credit statement or transfer rewards to a hotel such as Choice.  

Message 6 of 13
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@cws-21 wrote:

@AyaMai wrote:

Citibank/Mastercard 

1-  Citi Double Cash

2- Citi Custom Cash

3- Citi Premier 

or 

Wells  Fargo/Visa 

1-   Active Cash 

2-  Autograph

3-  Autograph Journey 

Of the two setups, I would prefer the Citi one. However, if you are really into Choice Hotel points, I would consider the Citi Premier, Citi Custom Cash, Wells Fargo Autograph, and Wells Fargo Active Cash.

Is there a reason no Citi Double Cash even if there is a possibilty of PC to another Citi Custom Cash, to be honest I did like your setup which did not occur to me before.  

Message 7 of 13
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

In your case, the quickest way to transferrable points is two signup bonuses:  Citi Premier and Wells Fargo Autograph Journey; 60k points each.  Citi Premier has a limited 10x rewards rate on certain travel bookings made through the portal.  WF Autograph Journey allows full rewards when booking directly with hotels (which allows you to use any elite benefits you may be entitled to).

The biggest obstacle I foresee is that both Citi and Wells Fargo do not like to approve profiles with multiple recent inquiries and new accounts.  If I recall correctly, you have been applying for a lot of cards.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 8 of 13
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

In your case, the quickest way to transferrable points is two signup bonuses:  Citi Premier and Wells Fargo Autograph Journey; 60k points each.  Citi Premier has a limited 10x rewards rate on certain travel bookings made through the portal.  WF Autograph Journey allows full rewards when booking directly with hotels (which allows you to use any elite benefits you may be entitled to).

The biggest obstacle I foresee is that both Citi and Wells Fargo do not like to approve profiles with multiple recent inquiries and new accounts.  If I recall correctly, you have been applying for a lot of cards.

Yes you are correct that I have been applying for a lot of cards in the past. I am not going to apply for any card till my newest card passes 12 months which is about another 6-7 months away. Have no interest in Wells Fargo Autograph Journey as for Citi Premier is the last card I would get after Custom Cash, Wells Fargo Active Cash, Double Cash, I do have an eye on U.S Bank Altitude Reserve which I might apply for on the same day for Custom Cash. I do have 147,687 points with Choice due to sign up bonus and all year round promotions, hotel rates are low off season and on Monday and Tuesday which are my off days, the only draw back when I visit Seattle from Portland, many bakeries and resturants are closed for 2 or 3 days, few 4 days in a row due to labour costs.Tukwila, Washington a suburb of Seattle has the highest minimum wage in the United States at $20.29 per hour for large employers and $18.29 for mid-sized employers. The minimum wage in Tukwila is adjusted for inflation annually.  

My apetite for applying for many credit cards is slowing down, luckily my lowest FICO 8 score is Experian 780 since most of inquiries are listed there, now I am into to new Bank Account Bonuses.  

Message 9 of 13
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@AyaMai wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

Yes you are correct that I have been applying for a lot of cards in the past. I am not going to apply for any card till my newest card passes 12 months which is about another 6-7 months away. Have no interest in Wells Fargo Autograph Journey as for Citi Premier is the last card I would get after Custom Cash, Wells Fargo Active Cash, Double Cash, I do have an eye on U.S Bank Altitude Reserve which I might apply for on the same day for Custom Cash. I do have 147,687 points with Choice due to sign up bonus and all year round promotions, hotel rates are low off season and on Monday and Tuesday which are my off days, the only draw back when I visit Seattle from Portland, many bakeries and resturants are closed for 2 or 3 days, few 4 days in a row due to labour costs.Tukwila, Washington a suburb of Seattle has the highest minimum wage in the United States at $20.29 per hour for large employers and $18.29 for mid-sized employers. The minimum wage in Tukwila is adjusted for inflation annually.  

My apetite for applying for many credit cards is slowing down, luckily my lowest FICO 8 score is Experian 780 since most of inquiries are listed there, now I am into to new Bank Account Bonuses.  

Waiting until your youngest revolving account is older than 1 year will greatly improve your odds of approval with Citi and Wells Fargo. 

You say that you aren't interested in the Autograph Journey, yet you are considering Active Cash.  How about starting with Journey and then product changing to Active Cash one year later?  Get the 60k points and then switch without having to open another account.  Your current standard Autograph card will still allow you to transfer points even after the Journey is converted to Active Cash.

If you truly prefer the Citi ecosystem, then forget about Active Cash and go with Double Cash instead paired with Premier.  Add Custom Cash later if Thank You Points work well for you.

FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.