Question Recommended Graphics Card (Max budget ~$500)

deathbysalt

Reputable
Mar 27, 2021
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Hopefully by the end of the month. BUDGET RANGE: Max $500, though prefer keep to ~$400 or under
CURRENT GPU: None, due to unfortnate circumstances listed below.
CURRENT POWER SUPPLY: Corsair CX650M
MOTHERBOARD: Asus prime B550M-A wifi II Micro ATX AM4
CPU: Amd Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core
CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh V2 ATX Mid Tower
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4
Country of Origin: United States of America
Little Backstory: This is my roommates essentially brand new pc, a few of the parts are used. My other roommates were helping him put it together a few days ago, and it would not post. My biggest concern was that they did this all on carpet, i was worried the motherboard or something was shot. But we wanted to troubleshoot every piece regardless, he had gotten a used GPU from a friend, I'm sorry but i currently have no idea which all i know off the top of my head is it that its some kind of AMD card. The issue was that the card would light up but the fans on it would not move, so we tried to test it with my own card which is a Nvidia 1060, same issue. However we then tested it with one of our other roommates cards a Nvidia RTX2060 i believe, and suddenly it posts. We tested the used card in the other roommates pc and it also had the same issue, not sure what that issue is about. So i came to ask for my roommate on suggestions for a replacement for his new pc since the used one seems to not work. His only real request is that it doesn't go over $500 but would prefer it to be under $400, doesn't need to be real high end either. Something at works close to the same level as a 1060 is fine he said. Thanks for any help, and if any more info is required i will try my best to fill in.

Last edited:
Reactions: edp213

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
Those are all much more powerful than the 1060. The basic 4060 is closest to 1060 in performance while still being considerably faster. It sells for just under $300 and is the best value.
This Gigabyte Eagle has three fans, so it's easier to keep cool and quiet than 2 fan models. It's $310 - https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-4060-gv-n4060eagle-oc-8gd/p/N82E16814932629

By far the best card performance-wise is the 7800XT @ohio_buckeye linked. It's within budget. But it's probably overkill for your needs. Still, it's good price/performance if you want to spend the money.

There is nothing under$300 (except the 4060s) worth your time. They are older gen cards and don't make a lot of sense. Not in your situation.
If you want a paperweight for a few hundred dollars, then yes.

You have a double edged sword. With gpus you don’t really know what you are missing out on until you experience it. Issue with lower mid range cards like a 3060 or 4060 is you may be buying them more often to keep up. VS if you spend a little more now maybe you are good for 5 years at 1080p for example.

If you want to look at used and not break the bank something like this doesn’t look bad for the money and is still better than a 1060.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2355390501...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

For a card of similar performance to that here’s a used rx 5600xt for a bit less than the 2060 but similar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2667749724...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Either way lots of options. To me the 4060 is kind of a meh card.

If you wanted to be slightly over 300, here’s another new card from Newegg. It’s last gen but should stack up to a 4060/4060ti and gives 12gb of vram.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2961693415...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Find another $50 and get the 7900 GRE - that's the only thing anyone should be recommending. It's one of the best price to performance GPU deals in recent memory. Taking "new normal" market conditions in to account, possibly ever... And I've been doing this long enough to remember when the original 3DFX Voodoo was the thing to have, so I really do mean "ever."

I get that they're not very demanding, but that means they won't have to upgrade for a long, long, long time.