cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kruassan05
Journeyman III

The processor temperature.

Hello everyone, can you help me figure this out? According to the documentation, the maximum temperature for the Threadripper 2950X is 68 degrees Celsius, but during rendering, my temperature reaches 74 degrees. I'm monitoring it using Ryzen Master and MSI Afterburner. I'm using a Master Liquid 360 water cooler, and I recently replaced the thermal paste.What temperature values are safe for operation? I'm afraid of damaging the processor.

1.JPG

0 Likes
3 Solutions

Running your ThreadRipper above it Maximum Operating Temperature of 68c for long periods of time will damage your processor by shortening its lifespan and possibly damaging your Motherboard itself.  Depending on how hot and how long you run it above 68c will determine how much of your processor's lifespan will be shortened.

If you run it above 68c for a few minutes it won't do any damage to your processor.  But running it for hours on end will.

I don't know what is the critical shutdown temperature for your ThreadRipper but it most be fairly close at 74c.

Your ThreadRipper TDP rating is 180 Watts so according to Coolermaster TDP & Socket chart your CoolerMaster AIO is TDP rating is from 270 - 290 watts depending on the exact Liquid CPU Cooler model you have.

So your  basically your Threadripper shouldn't be overheating with your AIO under any loads.

So your CPU is overheating I would check the following in order:

1- The Liquid CPU Cooler is installed correct and the Pump and Fans are working normally and you can feel liquid circulating to through the Radiator with the Fans running at full speed when hot.  That the pump is actually running and circulating liquid through the system. 

Poor location/installation of the AIO Radiator can cause your CPU to overheat.

The AIO's tubing might be semi clogged or has a air bubbles obstructing one of the tubing.  Sometimes by turning the PC case in a different direction will tell you if you have a air bubble issue.

Possibly open a Coolermaster Warranty Ticket to see if your AIO needs to be RMA to be checked.

Best way to eliminate the AIO is by installing temporary another similar AIO or powerful AIR CPU Cooler.

2- Under-powered CPU Cooler

3- Overclocking your processor making your AIO under-powered and unable to keep the processor from overheating.

Use BIOS to try and disable any BIOS Setting that would cause your processor to Overclock like PBO as an example if applicable to Threadripper processors as a temporary solution until you get a good AIO installed.

4- You have good Air circulation inside your PC case.  Remove the side panel and see if your processor doesn't continue to overheat or runs slightly cooler with the panel off. If it does that indicates poor air circulation inside your PC Case.

5-PSU power issues. The PSU is not outputting proper 12vdc voltage to the pump or fans of the AIO

6- Motherboard port is bad. Change the Pump or Fans to a different port.  a 4 Pin Power connector will work in a 3 pin Motherboard port. Just won't be regulated.

7- Ambient Room temperature. A hot room will cause your processor to overheat since it is using hot room temperature air to cool your Radiator.

View solution in original post

SerchTech
Adept II

Hi kruassan05

Here another 2950X user but with ASRock X399 and Dark Rock Pro TR4 CPU cooler.

I remember temperatures up to 74º running PugetBench for DaVinci Resolve but it only happened with that software specifically so it is possible that the "problem" comes from apps with poor support for different CPUs/Motherboards.

Regards

misterj
Big Boss

Believe only Ryzen Master (RM) and remove any other monitors like MSI. Please post a screen of RM running Cinebench R24. Enjoy, John

4 Replies

Running your ThreadRipper above it Maximum Operating Temperature of 68c for long periods of time will damage your processor by shortening its lifespan and possibly damaging your Motherboard itself.  Depending on how hot and how long you run it above 68c will determine how much of your processor's lifespan will be shortened.

If you run it above 68c for a few minutes it won't do any damage to your processor.  But running it for hours on end will.

I don't know what is the critical shutdown temperature for your ThreadRipper but it most be fairly close at 74c.

Your ThreadRipper TDP rating is 180 Watts so according to Coolermaster TDP & Socket chart your CoolerMaster AIO is TDP rating is from 270 - 290 watts depending on the exact Liquid CPU Cooler model you have.

So your  basically your Threadripper shouldn't be overheating with your AIO under any loads.

So your CPU is overheating I would check the following in order:

1- The Liquid CPU Cooler is installed correct and the Pump and Fans are working normally and you can feel liquid circulating to through the Radiator with the Fans running at full speed when hot.  That the pump is actually running and circulating liquid through the system. 

Poor location/installation of the AIO Radiator can cause your CPU to overheat.

The AIO's tubing might be semi clogged or has a air bubbles obstructing one of the tubing.  Sometimes by turning the PC case in a different direction will tell you if you have a air bubble issue.

Possibly open a Coolermaster Warranty Ticket to see if your AIO needs to be RMA to be checked.

Best way to eliminate the AIO is by installing temporary another similar AIO or powerful AIR CPU Cooler.

2- Under-powered CPU Cooler

3- Overclocking your processor making your AIO under-powered and unable to keep the processor from overheating.

Use BIOS to try and disable any BIOS Setting that would cause your processor to Overclock like PBO as an example if applicable to Threadripper processors as a temporary solution until you get a good AIO installed.

4- You have good Air circulation inside your PC case.  Remove the side panel and see if your processor doesn't continue to overheat or runs slightly cooler with the panel off. If it does that indicates poor air circulation inside your PC Case.

5-PSU power issues. The PSU is not outputting proper 12vdc voltage to the pump or fans of the AIO

6- Motherboard port is bad. Change the Pump or Fans to a different port.  a 4 Pin Power connector will work in a 3 pin Motherboard port. Just won't be regulated.

7- Ambient Room temperature. A hot room will cause your processor to overheat since it is using hot room temperature air to cool your Radiator.

SerchTech
Adept II

Hi kruassan05

Here another 2950X user but with ASRock X399 and Dark Rock Pro TR4 CPU cooler.

I remember temperatures up to 74º running PugetBench for DaVinci Resolve but it only happened with that software specifically so it is possible that the "problem" comes from apps with poor support for different CPUs/Motherboards.

Regards

misterj
Big Boss

Believe only Ryzen Master (RM) and remove any other monitors like MSI. Please post a screen of RM running Cinebench R24. Enjoy, John

kruassan05
Journeyman III

Thank you all very much for the response. I increased the fan speeds by 100 percent after reaching 65 degrees in the application. Now, the temperature doesn't rise above 65; sometimes it spikes to 71, but it's an occasional occurrence. Overall, it stays at 65.